It’s cookie season and here’s my go-to sugar cookie recipe for all year round.
Classic Sugar Cookies
Adapted from Judy Rosenberg
2 ¼ cups AP flour
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
½ teaspoon salt
12 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into 12 pieces
1 large egg
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
· Process dry ingredients in a food processor for 5 seconds.
· Distribute butter over the flour mixture and process for about 30 seconds until you get a coarse meal.
· Stir egg and vanilla together and pour through feed tube while processor is running. Process until dough comes together, 30 more seconds.
· Remove dough to a work surface, knead to make it come together then shape into a disk, place between two large pieces of parchment paper, then roll out to 1/8-1/4 inch thickness depending on preference. Chill flat dough in fridge or freezer. If it’s going to be days before you bake, wrap parchment slabs in plastic wrap as well.
· When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375. Peel off both pieces of parchment paper. Use cookie cutters to cut shapes. Reroll scraps as needed between parchment paper—chill in freezer for a few minutes between rolls if dough becomes too warm to work with. Bake on parchment paper covered cookie sheets for 10-15 minutes depending on size of cut cookies. Cool on sheets. Decorate as desired. Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!