I’m turning 40 this week. It’s kind of been looming over me since last year, not because I don’t embrace my age, but I feel like culturally, it’s still a big one. I’m a Leo, so of course I don’t have a problem celebrating myself! Here are my top 10 favorite ways to celebrate.
1. Pop the bubbly. I’m not a huge drinker, but I do love yummy sparkling wine. It’s always festive, like drinking fairy lights.
2. Put on some music. I have eclectic music tastes, but nothing revs me up for a celebration like Queen or the B-52s.
3. Revisit my favorite shows. My favorite television show of all time is Murder, She Wrote, and I rewatch it far too much. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I’m also into Only Murders in the Building and Search Party. I enjoy my mysteries with a side of humor and a dollop of romance.
4. Take a spin. Cycling is my (second 😉) favorite way to work up a sweat.
5. Putter in my garden. The first half of the summer at my house was super dry and the second half has been oppressively humid, so I haven’t spent as much time in my garden but as soon as the heat breaks, I’ll be out there enjoying my fall blooms.
6. Play a game. I recently got obsessed with the game Wingspan and got a copy of my own for an early birthday present. It takes like two hours to play a full game but it’s an oddly relaxing, not super-competitive game with beautiful artwork.
7. Family movie night. Every Saturday we watch a movie as a family and the birthday person gets to pick the movie. I think I might use my pick to get my kids to watch It Happened One Night. It’s a classic romance but has some physical comedy elements so I think my 7- and 10-year-old boys might like it.
8. Read some fanfiction. I’m addicted to AO3, not going to lie.
9. Quality time with the hubby. This year we’re going to the city for an evening away from the kids. I don’t need any other gift!
10. Be grateful for my amazing family and my incredible writer community. Thank you all for being a part of it!